Travel to Prague
Prague, the city of a thousand towers
Prague is the largest city and largest in the Czech Republic. From the ninth century has been, without interruption, the capital of the Czech state. Before becoming the capital of what is now the Czech Republic, was the capital of the Kingdom of Bohemia and Czechoslovakia. It is also the capital of Bohemia.
It is the largest industrial, commercial and financial of the country and above all a great historical monument and cultural center, social and political development of European importance. Some of the many appellations with which graces the city are "The city of 100 towers", or "The Magic City" or "Jewel in the heart of Europe." Since 1992, the historic old town is a World Heritage Site. Their beauty and heritage make it one of the twenty most-visited cities in the world.
Visit the most impressive places of Prague, they can lose :
- Charles Bridge
- St. Vitus Cathedral
- The old Judish cementery
- The church of St. Nicholas
- The astronomical clock in Old Town
- The church of Our Lady of Týn
- The Municipal House
This jewel of medieval architecture and one of the most beautiful bridges in the world, hidden from the first day a mystery. The time when the emperor Charles IV laid the first stone (July 9, 1357 at 5 hours and 31 minutes) was chosen by astrologers, because at that moment was the conjunction of the Sun to Saturn, which according the design of astronomical time was the most favorable time of year. Opened in 1383, but construction continued until the early fifteenth century.
It is the oldest bridge in Prague and romantic, and is crossed by the river Vltava. It has a length of 516 meters and its width is about 10 meters, while that is supported by 16 arches. It is protected by 3 towers distributed between its two heads, two in Malá Strana and the remainder at the end located in the Old City. The tower located at the head of the Old Town is considered by many to be one of the most impressive buildings of Gothic architecture in the world. The bridge is decorated by 30 statues on both sides of it, most of which are of Baroque style and was built around 1700.
The bridge is inhabited by artists and merchants continually since this place is one of the most beautiful and romantic city, attracting thousands of tourists every day .
Since 1989, dedicated to St. Vitus, St. Wenceslas and St. Adalbert. Has been the scene of the coronation of the kings of Bohemia and in it are also buried all the holy bishops and archbishops and a number of kings.
The cathedral, though Catholic, is owned from the start of construction in the fourteenth century.
The old Jewish cementery
One of the most extraordinary places in Prague. The Jewish cemetery in Žižkov (street Fibichova, known as the first Jewish cemetery in Olšany) was founded in 1680, in times of plague, as a cemetery of the Jewish Community of Prague. Again there was buried, during the epidemics of plague in the second decade of the eighteenth century. Was then used regularly from 1787, when a law was passed prohibiting burials within the city limits. The cemetery ran until 1890, when he founded the new Jewish cemetery in Prague Strašnice.
The curious aspect of the cemetery due to the limited area of the cemetery and the religious prohibition of removing ancient tombs, did cast them to new layers of soil to bury the dead so that in some places up to 12 additional layers piled on top the first.
It is a place of great historical and artistic importance, besides being the best preserved Jewish cemetery and the oldest in the world. Were buried there more than 40 000 people, including a number of important rabbis and scholars. The most visited grave is that of the top rabbi of Prague, Ezechiel Landau (1713-1793).
It was completed in the middle of the eighteenth century (1756). The interior of the church is architecturally rich, based on the permeability of the solid figures. The decor is baroque and all its drama is evident inside the temple, where the wealth of forms is enhanced by the contrast of light and shadow.
Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart played the organ in the church beautiful. After his death was held at the Church of St. Nicholas a funeral mass attended by over 4000 Prague.
The astronomical clock in Old Town
The astronomical clock in Old Town is located in the Gothic tower of City Hall building which was completed in 1364. One of the most valuable monuments and most famous of Prague. The watch is a masterpiece of science and technique of the Czech Gothic art and a superb monument.
Every hour between 9.00 - 21.00, two windows appear on the statues of 12 apostles with Christ blessing and then the bell Ting skeleton reminiscent of a time beyond our earthly life. On both sides of the clock are represented the figures of a skeleton, a Turk, of Greed and Vanity. After the parade of all the apostles the cock crows and the clock tower begins to mark the hours.
According to legend, the directors left Prague blind master who built the clock so he could not make a copy anywhere
The Municipal House
The Municipal House is a beautiful Art Nouveau building from the early twentieth century with a monumental concert hall - Smetana Hall in which occur the most important concert of Prague and the great gallery of visual arts..
It was built in a memorable place, occupied in the past by the Royal Court (the residence of Czech rulers).
In the Town Hall there are many spaces, richly decorated rooms and lounges
It is the key point of the Old Town Square and around the historic center of Prague.
This impressive building is visible from anywhere in the city. The towers are 80 meters high and are topped in turn by four smaller towers and fragile. Its construction began in the early fifteenth century Hussite remained under control until the arrival of Roman Catholics, being completed in 1511.
Anecdotally, commenting that the two main towers are not symmetrical. The reason is because they wanted to represent the two faces (male and female) in the world, a very characteristic feature in all Gothic architecture.
The temple is entered through the passage of the building of the School of Tyn. Inside you can admire the unique beauty of it with many precious works Baroque, Renaissance and Gothic